The worship song, Stand in Your Love, starts like this:
When darkness tries to roll over my bones
When sorrow comes to steal the joy I own
When brokenness and pain is all I know
I won’t be shaken, no, I won’t be shaken
‘Cause my fear doesn’t stand a chance
When I stand in Your love
Not many worship songs start with such a “down” phrase. Most are peppy and immediately get you into praise-mode, but not this song. This song picks you up where it finds you and gradually helps you adjust your perspective.
Here’s what you need to STAND IN GOD’S LOVE, the Full Armor of God.
I encourage you to go and read about the Armor of God in Ephesians 6.
But here’s a breakdown of the pieces of armor and what they do:
(The list below is borrowed from Standing in the Armor of God by Lisa Ann Moss Degrenia)
Belt of Truth
- Like Batman’s utility belt. Holds everything in place
- The battle for what is real
- Evil One’s Weapons- lies, falsehood, misinformation, miscommunication
- God’s Weapons- integrity, honesty, we humbly take the high ground because Jesus is already victorious
Breastplate of Righteousness
- Righteousness = Right Relationship with God and Others
- The battle for your heart.
- Who is on the throne of your heart
- What are your primary motivations in all you do
- The Evil One wants broken relationships. Anyone or anything on the throne of your heart other than Jesus. For your primary motivation to be a heart of war, looking at people and treating people as if they are not people. Go to war with flesh and blood.
- God’s Weapons- Jesus on the throne of our heart. Our primary motivation is a heart of peace- looking at people and treating people as people.
Shoes for the Gospel of Peace
- How and why we move
- Battle for our Mission and Priorities
- Weapons of the Evil One- Busy, Distracted, using our time talent and treasure for missions not of God
- God’s weapons- bringing glory to God, building up others, making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We do this by making peace and offering the Good News of Christ’s peace
Shield of Faith
- We hold on to faith like we hold on to a shield
- The Evil One will throw everything at us in order to get us to give up- give up the mission, give up our heart, believe a lie instead of trusting God.
- We claim who we are in Christ. We claim the promises of God. We hold on to faith and hope. We persevere. We endure.
Helmet of Salvation
- Battle for your thoughts, your mind.
- We ruminate- we replay situations over and over. This is not of God. Jesus take the wheel of my monkey brain!
- Let the same mind be in me that was in Christ Jesus- Phillippians 2:5
- The Evil One wants us distracted, discouraged, and despairing.
- I know who I am in Christ- I am a child of God. I am beloved and blessed of God. I am made in the image of God and nothing can separate me from the love of God and my salvation in Jesus Christ.
- I know it in my head and my heart. Salvation means wholeness and I am whole in Christ.
Sword of the Spirit
- The Evil One wants us to use the weapons of the world
- The word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. – Hebrews 4:12
- We claim the Word of God and pray in the Spirit for ourselves and others.
- It is always scripture and prayer. Always and forever.
For further reading, here’s a Bible App Reading Plan called The Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer.